Monday, February 28, 2011

Create

Create:
to organize,
to bestow intelligence upon

First and foremost, I would like to refer you to this post on creativity. Now that I've said all of those wonderful things in that one little link, I can add to it.

I shall begin with a question.

Why is it so terrifying to create? Maybe it's just me, but thinking too hard about creating has literally sent me to curl up under my covers for the night long before my standard bedtime. Perhaps it is the fear of inadequacy. I convince myself that I am incapable of creating something worthwhile. It may be that I compare myself. I see the creations of others and my own quickly fall short. Often, it seems to be a joint effort between the two--inadequacy and comparing. But in the end, I believe that I most fear my own potential.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.
--Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love

We all have the ability to create something absolutely unique. Something the world has never seen. That is astounding! Of the countless number of people that have ever lived and will ever live on this earth, we have the ability to create something that can never be recreated, reproduced, or replicated. For something of such significance, isn't it understandable to be a little afraid?

To those who feel incapable, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "Start small. Try to see how many smiles you can create, write a letter of appreciation, learn a new skill, identify a space and beautify it." It does not take much to create. Identify opportunities to create something as simple as a smile throughout your day. President Uchtorf went on to say, "As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."

(President Uchtdorf's quotations from his talk, Happiness, Your Heritage.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for putting the whole quote for Marianne Williamson. I think too often people stop before the "you are a child of God" part. And that's the most compelling reason to me to stretch myself to new heights. I would never believe myself capable of great things if I didn't have the Lord to rely on and to glorify.

    ReplyDelete