Sunday, March 20, 2011

Honey, Eggs, and Red Rock

It's about time I catch up on my bucket list successes. I will recount the experiences in chronological order.

#21.18--Read The Secret Life of Bees

I believe it was Tuesday night. It was end of term, my independent reading assignment was due on Friday, and I desperately needed to buckle down and read a book. I chose The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, curled up under a quilt and a lamp in the corner of my room, and read until 1:30 in the morning. It was heaven. I had forgotten how much I adore reading. And the book was just wonderful!

Photo Credit

I absolutely loved it. It is definitely feminist, which I don't necessarily agree with, but it is an overall amazing book. It's one of those books that makes me feel like I'm in the story, one of those books that I can relate to in one thing or another. It talked about the importance of having something to believe in. Though I do not believe in the same things as the women in this book, I began to feel a greater appreciation for the strength that I draw from my beliefs. It also talked about love. My favorite quote from the book was said by a woman named August Boatwright.

"And when you get down to it, Lily, that's the only purpose grand enough for a human life. Not just to love--but to persist in love."

Honestly? I want to sit right back down with it and read it again. I loved this book. Well done, Sue Monk Kidd.


#48--Cook something in the odd hours of the night

Immediately following my completion of The Secret Life of Bees, I was wide awake. I don't know if I was just giddy from the excitement of reading, perhaps the book had simply put my mind back in motion, but whatever it was, I was not going to bed anytime soon. It was then that I realized that I had skipped dinner entirely, due to the excitement of the novel. With a growling stomach, I crept downstairs and proceeded to make myself a scrambled egg sandwich.


Though the picture begs to differ, it was marvelously delicious. And satisfying.

(P.S. Don't judge my photography skills off of this photo, it was not taken in the most artistic of circumstances. AKA: I was starving in the middle of the night and wanted to eat the sandwich, not take a picture of it.)


#38--Run a half marathon

This one happened yesterday. My mom, sister and I journeyed to Moab to run the Canyonlands Half Marathon. I ran it with the time of 1:53.30 and absolutely loved it! The canyon is beautiful, the supporters were wonderful, the event was organized, and I had a great run.

This paper was in our hotel lobby.

I fell in love with half marathons--everything about them is supportive, uplifting, and encouraging. There were some 4,000 runners on that course yesterday and every one of them succeeded. Not just the overall winners, not just the top finishers in the age divisions, but every single person that crossed the finish line. The volunteers cheered for every runner as if they were setting a world record. People I didn't even know were supporting me and helping me to be my best. People I had never met were proud of me.

I may or may not get around to posting pictures. I have yet to see the pictures that were taken (they're due to be posted sometime this week), but if they're worth anything I'll put them on display for all the world to see. Since all the world follows my blog.

We saw the coolest car in the world on the way home.

The full car

Close-up on the window sticker

The license plate reads, "RUNLOCO"
The license plate cover reads, "gotta run..."

Bumper sticker: Marathon Freak

I think I'm in love.

Also, I discovered this place. Brilliant. One of these days I'll get around to purchasing the Original Black T--because you can never have enough cotton t-shirts. Especially when it has brilliance printed on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment