Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What were you doing at 3:47?

My alarm went off at exactly 3:42 AM this morning. Upon waking up and somehow managing to stop my phone from making that horrendous, unearthly sound, I looked over at the bed next to mine to assess the depth of my dear roommate's slumber. Come to find out, the bed was empty. Not only empty, but it was still made.

At 3:42 in the morning.

In attempt to locate Shayne, I checked the couch, which was also empty and, at this point, I began to worry. Since Kessa was wide awake and getting ready for work, I asked if she knew where Shayne was, but to no avail. In one last attempt, I decided to check Iris' room--the only place left unexamined in our teeny tiny apartment.

Just as I reached for the doorknob, preparing to open the door ever-so-quietly in that way moms always do when they check on their children, I heard laughter coming from within.

Sure enough, there she was. Awake. With Iris. Awake. At (now) 3:45 in the morning. Awake as in, they hadn't gone to sleep yet.

My mind? Blown.

Regardless, Iris and Shayne soon joined Kessa and me in the kitchen, and I quickly came to the realization that our entire apartment was awake--half of us had gotten up that early, the other half had yet to go to bed at all. At 3:47 in the freaking morning. Not that I was upset, it was just...unusual. To say the least. And a little distracting--it made me late to my run with the most darling and lovely Kristen.

In hindsight, I realize that it would have done well to have a picture of the moment. After all, it's not every day that you have a spontaneous apartment gathering in your kitchen at 3:47 AM.

1 comment: