Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Journal

There is a certain sense of satisfaction and joy that comes from filling every page of a journal. The excitement builds as you near the end, even more so when you purchase a new journal in preparation for your completion of the present one. But the true joy comes from lifting your writing utensil of choice from its pages for the last time. I experienced this joy today.

Some quotes on journal writing:

"A journal isn’t just for people in the future; it also has value now, for you. Your journal can be one of your best friends. When there’s no one else you can talk to, you can tell it to your journal. Share with your journal all your joys, hopes, and successes. But also share with it your frustrations, problems, and failures. Writing about your problems can help you come up with solutions as you think through them. As you express your thoughts in writing, your journal can also help you make difficult decisions, get rid of anger, think clearly when you’re confused, and understand yourself better."
-Jeffery S. McClellan, A Journal for Today and Tomorrow (I highly recommend reading the whole thing here.)

"Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully. You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life...What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved?"
-President Spencer W. Kimball, The Angels May Quote From It (Also, please go and read this.)

Go here for a lovely list of blessings of keeping a journal.

"Journal keeping is a way to enhance your personal life and develop your professional career."
-inspiredtojournal.net

You get the idea. Journals are wonderful. I strongly encourage each of you to keep a journal - whether that means you start one today, pick one up that you haven't touched for a while, or continue what you've already been doing. I especially enjoy putting little things inside it - ticket stubs, a picture or two, a wristband from a track meet, whatever. I also enjoy putting in a list of funny quotes I've heard from time to time. My journal is a place where I record the comings and goings, the thoughts, the blessings, the hard times. It's a place where I can look back on what I've experienced and be better able to grow from my past. It's a chance to sit and think, to ponder, to write down what comes to me. It is a blessing. I challenge you to keep a journal. You will be greatly blessed for it.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! And I love you. I've kept a journal everyday for almost a year and a half, and it's been one of the best things that I've done. :)

    ReplyDelete