Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Newest, Slightish, Obsession

I think this is healthy. I really think that it is one hundred percent beneficial to body, mind, and soul to be obsessed with the work of Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss.

So I will be.

Someday I will own the complete works of Dr. Seuss. And I will read a book every night before I go to bed. Most likely, this will be a bedtime story to my children. But secretly I will be reading them, not for my children's sake, but for my own.

Because, disguised behind all the clever rhymes, made-up words and silly pictures, each story contains a message. There is wisdom in his words.

Dr. Seuss is brilliant. It takes a man of a brilliant nature to take an important concept, wrap it up in lovely rhythms, pair it with some crazy characters and a splash of color, bind it, and sell it as a children's book. His words have reached countless ears of every age. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, cousins and other various relatives have read the words of Dr. Seuss aloud to their beloved whippersnapper on many a night. Not to mention babysitters, teachers, friends, and neighbors. Beyond that, his words are plastered all over the internet for any who may not have been included in the preceding list. Suffice it to say, Dr. Seuss has reached many lives with his words. And rightfully so.

Take a look at the messages he conveys. Listen to your parents, believe in yourself, set your sights high, keep moving past the hard times, it is okay to feel and express emotions, try new things, look beyond yourself, read, accept others, appearances don't matter, recognize your blessings, be the best that you can be. These are messages for everyone! No matter the age, background, or circumstance, Dr. Seuss will uplift, encourage, and inspire.

We could all use a little more Dr. Seuss in our lives.

1 comment: